Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Trouble? Take Heart!

"Is anyone among you in trouble?"  Everywhere I looked today people were dealing with some form of trouble.  It seemed the unmistakable theme of the day.  Watching those around me explain their struggles made me think about that phrase, "the last straw or the straw that broke the camel's back."  I picture that poor camel burdened down with as much straw as his master can toss on.  Under the immense strain the camel is standing there with his knees wobbling under the pressure and every muscle crying out for relief, and his greedy master just can't help but pile on the one last piece of straw that had fallen by the wayside.  At which, the poor camel's body gives way and crumbles to the ground.  Quite a picture isn't it?  Today, I spoke with several people feeling that same strain.  The weight of the World bearing down heavily up them, and the intense uncertainty of their situations causing every fiber of their being to cry out.

Life is difficult...the Word of God says in John 16:33, "In this World you will have trouble."  God never hid that fact from us.  When sin entered the World in the Garden of Eden, we had to accept that trouble would come.  How do we deal with it day in and day out?  It seems at times that it never lets up, and we struggle to keep our hope and joy alive.

I love a passage of scripture that my Pastor quotes often in James.  By the way, James is an incredible book of the Bible for your personal study time.  So much, in such a small book.  James 5:13-16 says this, "Is anyone among you in trouble?  Let them pray.  Is anyone happy?  Let them sing songs of praise.  Is anyone among you sick?  Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord.  And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up.  If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.  Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed.  The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."  

I love that this passage leaves no wide room for us to argue over it's interpretation.  It is extremely straight forward.  Are you in trouble?  You should Pray!  Very often we overlook the most basic answer to our most difficult situations.  I am the Master Blaster Disaster when it comes to trying to handle it on my own.  I tend to be a control freak.  When things don't seem to be going my way or when trouble strikes, my brain's instant reaction is to find a solution on my own.  By the way, that's a complete waste of time!  Every time that I try to "fix it" I tend to make a bigger mess than I had when I began.  I end up even more upset and worn.

Heed the Word of God.  When trouble strikes, it is time to pray.  When illness bares it's ugly head, call believers to pray.  God makes it clear that He will answer.  When we reach out to Him, he is there.  And you know the passage in John 16:33?  It goes on to say, "But take heart!  I have overcome the world."  If you didn't read that out loud you need too.  He has "Overcome the World."  There is truly nothing in this World that can come against you, that your Heavenly Father cannot defeat!  Lay your troubles at his feet in prayer and allow "the peace that passes all understanding" to fill you up.

Let me challenge you today!  Are you experiencing trouble?  It is time to PRAY!  No matter what your circumstance, nothing is too big or small for God to intervene.  Remember He loves you.

Lord, I pray for all those reading these words.  May your presence rest upon them and give them peace.  I pray you would meet their every need and make them a beacon to others seeking answers. You are the Answer Lord!  The hope for a broken World.  

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment